Outdoor Power Equipment Technology
Program Description: The Outdoor Power Equipment Technology (OPET) program provides classroom instruction and practical hands-on experience to prepare students to maintain and repair outdoor power equipment such as outboard motors, lawnmowers, chainsaws, motorcycles, rotary tillers, all-terrain vehicles, portable electric generators, compact diesel engines, and small garden tractors, as well as the use of technical manuals.
Graduates of this program work as small engine technicians, motorcycle technicians, industrial equipment mechanics, and recreational vehicle technicians. They troubleshoot, repair, overhaul and assemble new and used motorcycles, and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), service lawn equipment, lawn and garden tractors.
Students must maintain a 2.0 grade point average and complete all required courses to graduate from this program. Completion time depends on course load, course withdrawals, and repeat courses. The program takes approximately four semesters to complete based on full-time status (15+ hours per semester).
Location: Lamar Salter Campus
Cost: $$3,275 (per sememster) based on the highest credential available.
Accreditation & Certification
CLTCC’s OPET program is accredited by the Equipment and Engine Training Council (EETC). Upon completion of the program, you can become a certified technician in two stroke engines, four stroke engines, diesel engines, electrical/electronic systems, drivelines/hydraulics, generators, components plus, and golf course reels.
Gainful Employment Disclosure
- This program is designed to be completed in two years.
- This program will cost $13,100.00 if completed within normal time. There may be additional costs for living expenses. These costs were accurate at the time of posting, but may have changed.
- Of the students who completed this program within normal time, the typical graduate leaves with $ 1,506.76 of debt.
- The following States do not have licensure requirements for this profession: Louisiana
- For more information about graduation rates, loan repayment rates, and post-enrollment earnings about this
- For more information about graduation rates, loan repayment rates, and post-enrollment earnings about this institution and other postsecondary institutions please click here: https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/
Credentials and Exit Points
The credentials and exit points for Outdoor Power Equipment Technology are listed below. Students who pursue the highest credential for this program (Technical Diploma) have the opportunity to finish each semester with a competency certificate.
TD - OUTDOOR POWER EQUIPMENT TECHNICIAN
CTC – OPET TECHNICIAN I
CTS – OPET TECHNICIAN II
Career and Technical Certificate (CTC), Certificate of Technical Studies (CTS), Technical Diploma (TD)
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.